Tuesday 5 August 2008

those hands is my hands!

idling in a bookshop recently i nearly fell out of my socks as i recognised one of the pairs of hands on a hitherto unknown book.

they are mine.


flicking through the pages it became apparent that my enterprising publisher (Murdoch Books) had collated projects from 'handmade' (a series of softcover how-to books on subjects ranging from quilting to papermaking to beading to feltmaking and a lot of things in between) and reprinted them in this very nice hardbound tome appropriately named 'textiles'.

so of course i sent them a mildly surprised (but friendly) missile. mind you they were fully within their rights to reuse the material...the text i had written for them had been signed over for a flat fee-per-word giving them full book and film rights. i was happy with the contract then and the contentment holds good...as the proceeds from that book 'handmade style: felt' funded the purchase of the camera with which i shot for Eco Colour.


today at the post office i found myself in receipt of a lovely parcel...a copy of said weighty tome, sent to me with compliments by Murdoch, bless them. it's a nice book. i can confidently recommend it as a useful starting point for those who wish granny had taught them how to '_________' (fill in blank space as required.

and it has a sturdy set of brown farmer's hands on the cover.

2 comments:

  1. I saw said book recently and was about to buy it when I realised all the images were familiar! By now I have most of the Handmade series and sadly don't need a compilation of the lot!
    Of course my favourite is 'felt'
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for your comment on my blog, it took me to yours, those books look inspiring, more for my list!

    ReplyDelete